• French      *

Your settlement questions


1. Is Canada a free and democratic country?

Yes. Since 1982, our Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms states that every Canadian has the right of freedoms which includes freedom of religion, freedom of thought, freedom of peaceful assembly, and freedom of association.


2. Does Canada have clean air, clean water, and safe food?

Yes, but it must not be taken for granted. Air and water pollution, as well as food safety, are increasingly important issues. For more information about Canada’s environment, see the Environment Canada Website and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Website .

3. Is Canada a socially tolerant society?

Yes. Canada prides its self on its multiculturalism. Thousands of people immigrate to Canada every year from various part of the world and live together in peace and tolerance – the government of Canada encourages people to maintain their heritage and cultural traditions.

4. Does Canada have an affordable health care system?

Canada’s health care system is publicly funded and covers services that are medically necessary. It is not based on your ability to pay. Known to Canadians as "Medicare", the system gives you access to a wide range of hospital and physician services. It is best described as a set of 10 provincial and three territorial health insurance plans as each province and territory manages its own health care plan.

5. Does Canada have good child care and school systems?

Visit the Ontario Government’s Children’s Information Portal for information about Ontario’s child care and school systems.

6. Will I be able to find a job in my career?

Canada offers many employment opportunities. Learn about your career outlook at: www.workingcanada.gc.ca .  

7. Who can help me find a job?

Canada offers multiple services for newcomers to find a job. Also, the YMCA Employment Services has a wide range of employment programs to help you find work and provides other support you may need.  

8. Who can help me settle into my new life in Canada?

If you have friends or relatives in Canada, you might require their help. However, if you arrive alone there are many free services that can provide you with settlement information – go to Getting Settled for tips. The YMCA can help you access these services.  

9. Can someone help me learn English or French?

The federal and provincial governments offer language programs, some free and some charge a fee. You can also attend a college or university continuing education course to learn English or French.  


newbrand internationla banner

newbrand strongkids banner