What are some tips to be successful in an interview?
- Many people struggle with the interview process even when they are well qualified and experienced for the position.
- When you are invited for an interview, it means that the manager believes you might be a good match for the position, and they want to know for sure.
- The interview is used to determined if you are qualified or not for the job and whether you could potentially be successful in that position.
How should I prepare for an interview?
- Remember to bring some copies of your résumé in a folder and reliable references.
- Dress professionally. Make sure you are well groomed, clean, and avoid wearing cologne or body spray for allergy purposes. Even on a tight budget, you can find some deals out there. Outlet stores and resale shops offer some great treasures.
- Think about qualities that you have that can be an asset to the position you are applying for.
- Review your résumé.
- Think about questions that you would like to ask the employer ahead of time.
- Research the company and take some notes. It is important to walk in to the interview prepared.
- Be on time and remember that you never get a second chance to make a first impression.
What should I do during an interview?
- Introduce yourself to everyone you are meeting with, starting with a handshake.
- Always maintain eye contact.
- Pay attention and answer carefully but honestly to the questions.
- Try to relax, smile and be friendly.
- Show enthusiasm in the position; focus on positive rather than negative aspects of your résumé.
- Avoid talking too much; remember to let people finish their thoughts and give others a chance to speak as well.
What happens after the interview?
- There is always an opportunity to ask questions after the interview. You can also write questions down before the interview and take them with you.
- Thank the employer for their time, finish with a handshake.
- Ask when to expect to hear from them.
- Think about what went well and also what you could improve.
- Follow up with a thank you card, letter or phone call.
Check out the Job Postings Section on our website HERE